Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Simplify!

This Sunday I am speaking in church about simplifying our lives. It has been the topic on my mind all week long. The topic seems so easy to "talk" about but it is a harder thing for me to actually put into practice. I have had 2 major thoughts and am wondering if they somehow can be tied together to use in my talk, I am also interested in getting more insight on the topic to help me so please share your ideas:

1. I know we are suppose to simplify and get rid of the unnecessary things in our lives. The problem, I see, is how do we choose?? Our lives are filled with so many good things... how do we take away the good? What should be our priorities? It is hard to know where to draw the line of what is too much in our lives.

2. The song that keeps coming to my mind is that "Don't Blink" song... Have any of you heard it? I don't want my life to be so busy that I miss out on the precious little moments. The moments where Jace climbs his first stair... or Tyler making his first basketball shot. There are so many great little things in life and if we aren't careful we will miss them. Life goes way too fast to be stressed about the unnecessary things.

So I am sorry for my rambling but I will get back to the point.... I am convinced we need to simplify our lives so we can make memories and make the most out of every day.

I need more insight on SIMPLIFYING!!

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think your insight is great. That's a hard topic! I definitely don't think you should feel like you don't practice that principle, because I think you are great at realizing what's important in life. When I went to Time out for women, they talked a little about simplifying your life, and I wish I could remember better what they said. One thing I do remember was they cautioned us not to be fooled by marketing and medical articles and what-not that your kid will somehow be behind everyone else if you don't buy him every stupid developmental toy on the market starting at birth. They will learn just as much from a wooden spoon and a pan as they do from any of those toys! IF that makes any sense, hope that helps a little.

Audrey said...

There are a lot of ways we can simplify our lives and it is different for everyone. however, one thing that sticks out in my mind is media. We can get so caught up in it (all forms) and waste a lot of precious time and it should be an easy thing to cut back on. (I say this as I am on the computer, ha ha). Anyway I think that most importantly we need to all remember our Heavenly Father and go to him in prayer and ask him what he would like us to be doing with our time. He knows the perfect balance, if we could just learn how to ask correctly and listen. Good luck - i know you will do great! love ya

The Little's said...

Whew! I've been sitting here racking my brain and trying to think of how I can help you with this topic...One thing that has been helpful for me is always thinking about (and being REALLY conscious of) my attitude. As long as I can keep a great, positive attitude and remember to be happy, things seem to simplify themselves. I think I personally run into problems when I am upset, depressed or feeling selfish. Happiness simplifies so much because then I am less concerned with outcomes and more concerned with processes. Does that make sense? Getting something finished never seems as difficult if I have a good time working through it. I think that's what life is about. Enjoy the simple, easy things and you will have a happier outlook. Ramble, ramble, ramble. Not sure if that helps you, but it helped me just writing it down! Thanks!

Nathan and Brynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan and Brynn said...

I was reading an article in the June Ensign the other day and when I was reading your post it came to mind. I hope it helps. It is in the questions and answers article on pg. 12 and is under the heading "Don't run faster than you have strength" which is the second paragraph. Good luck. And your family is adorable!

Brittany said...

Hi Haley! I saw you at the parade in Ft. Bridger. You looked super cute! Your boys are so cute too. Hope you are doing well. Check us out teamtateoka.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I think its great idea.....
all the best....its great thought about insight on SIMPLIFYING!!
__________________
Susana
Email Marketing Solutions